2.11.12

Cultivation

crea·tiv·ity (krē′ā tiv′ə tē)

noun

creative ability; artistic or intellectual inventiveness


Being creative does not come naturally to me.  I find that when I try to hard to be creative it becomes too contrived.  Its like the organic feeling is lost somewhere.  My creativity lies in my writing ( I have found ) and it might be a stretch to say my cooking too.  I like to just write freehand and see where it takes me, often the words seem to flow through fingertips and the finished product is something that is much more "creative" than something that has been stewed over and over.  I like to kind of proof read to make sure the words have the right flow.  Maybe that in itself is inventive!  When it comes to cooking I find that I go in huge spurts of when and what I like to cook.  Right now I am  in total convenient mode.  That being said I like to find ways that the girls will enjoy eating and think that its something fun that mommy did.  So I will cut up food and put it in a little container that they can pick it out of and they love it.  I know every mom probably does that, but they really seem to enjoy it.  
Cousin's make dinner for Farren and Nellie's
1st Birthday!

A laminated card from cousins!

Meal for the girls.
Cupcakes I made for the girls' 1st Birthday


 I look forward to the days when my girls are old enough to sit and color and do drawings and paint.  I love how creative children are.  You can almost see their minds working.  Honestly, when I think about creativity I think about Arctica's kids!  The girls are amazing drawers, play writes, cooks (the best potato salad I have ever had... seriously), and singers.  Benjamin has so much expression on his face that you can almost hear his thoughts.  I have a few laminated books that have been sent over to us from them, and they are so precious to me.  Tica and Lars are truly cultivating creativity in their children by encouraging them to just express themselves through art.  Its inspiring and I look forward to following in their footprints with our girls.  I think about being a child and being creative and that's truly where it starts, it's just about being encouraged to do so and a willingness to continue in a creative direction.  

  We live in a different world now, where you can express yourself in so many ways and so many people can access it.  People can become bloggers, web designers, freelance writers, and so much more!  I love how there is very little separation between people nowadays, although anonymity is also desired.  I hope that whatever you do in life you are somehow cultivating creativity in your (or someone else's) life!


3 comments:

  1. Ahhh Jesse, thanks for your nice words :) You have lots to look forward to thats forsure. Baking with Nellie and Farren, fingerpainting, playdoh, stickers, coloring, cutting, glueing..the list goes on. It makes me really happy that my girls love to create and can picture something in their head and then go and create it. And they can spend hours working on a project or a play.
    Jesse, can you send me the recipe for those owl muffins, they are adorable! Ben needs to take a cake to school next week and he decided it should be these owl cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse you have a really nice post again...I look foward to Nellie and Farrens creations.! and I like how your words give me a new inpiration about creating ...and also presenting food dress home..and more... your words really do cultivate creativity in others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, Jesse, I think that you are part of a fantastic, warm and creative family! It's so lovely to see photos appearing here and on Bev's and Arctica's Flickr pages as you are such a beautiful clan and I feel happy to get to know you better thanks to this course.
    I think I said it before, but I love your way of writing: when I read your words, it's like following your thoughts and diving into your head (and heart) for a little moment. Your writing style is very fluent and natural and that's the way I like it.
    To me, one of the biggest arts is to be creative in the kitchen: love the photo of these owl cupcakes. I guess people will remember them forever as they are so cute and so original. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete