30.10.12

Home


home (hōm)

noun

1. A place where one lives; a residence.
2. The physical structure within which one lives, such as a house or apartment.
3. A dwelling place together with the family or social unit that occupies it; a household.
4. An environment offering security and happiness. A valued place regarded as a refuge or place of origin.

A piece of wire we have had for 7 years, always changing.
Danish picture that Dallas has had for years

I never read the definition of home before.  It provokes a lot of thoughts for me. I remember dreaming about my home and what I thought it would be like when I was little and our place has far exceeded any expectations that I ever had.  It's comfortable, inviting, and really just another way of outwardly expressing who we are as a unit.  Two lives blended together in a marriage under one roof. A long time ago Dallas said that he wants our home to be simple and decorated with things that have meaning and value in our hearts.  We don't want to fill our home with generic pictures that anyone could just go and buy from Walmart, so we have started a nice little collection of art that is meaningful to us.  We have surrounded ourselves with these pieces because they help to remind us of how they came to us or why they are important to us.There you have it a glimpse into our home!  I hope you are all surrounded by things that you love!

Oak hope chest I was given for a gift
for graduating.  Its now a toybox.
Burlap coffee bag.  We love our coffee!




My favorite piece of furniture.  It was Dallas' grandparents.
Our first print.  Group of Seven.  Very Canadian.




A table Dallas made out of 2x4's! Love this so much!

5 comments:

  1. Aww....thanks for sharing, Jesse. This was so beautiful. I could tell you were speaking from the heart. You have done a great job of personalizing your home. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very homely! I like how every piece has meaning. The 2x4 table looks like something my partner would make - I must remember to show him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesse I love that your place is a home not just a house! Coffees always on and there's little feet running the hallways with squeals of delight. You are very good with color and when you first showed me your color chips I wanted to tell you it would never work but it did and its so warm and cozy. It's so nice to stop by on a grey day and the candles are burning and soft music is playing or sometimes Raffi and you are all sitting on the floor with a pile of books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely to be surrounded by art and to decorate your home consciously, with attention to every single piece.
    The photo of the chest made me smile as I got one for my graduation at university as well. It's still standing at my parents' place because we don't have place for it right now as we are still living between some moving boxes.
    The wire is intriguing to me and I am impressed by the table! I love everything what you show here because of its specific meaning!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house is cozy and cheery. I like all the little details that mean lots to you, and that you surround yourselves with. Would love to stop by for a cuppa and a good chat and play with the girls xo

    ReplyDelete